Winter Crochet

I’ve had a break from blogging these past six months, but not from crochet! If anything I am hooking more than ever. Happy days! Both my young daughters are now at school and here toward the end of the second term, we are nicely settled into our routines of sports, play and learning. Having school-aged children is a brand new and exciting chapter for me, having been a stay at home mum to little ones for almost eight years. I am increasingly involved in the running of our family business, but otherwise I continue to be a happy and grateful stay at home mum with a HUGE yarn obsession πŸ˜€

I won’t harp on with a six months update but will instead begin where I am. June has been a month of seriously getting stuck into finishing wips, especially crochet blankets, here in the Australian mid-winter. One of my blankets is running at over three years now! And there were many more! I’ve finished two crochet blankets this month, and I also thought I’d come to the end of Sophie’s Universe (pictured above) but I’ve decided I might grow her into a rectangle, so there may be a way to go on that one yet. I’m also working to complete another earlier CAL from the Look at What I Made blog, the block a week blanket (or on average Block a Month if you’re me). I’ve made 30 blocks, decided on placement, and am now ready to get into joining them. You can see progress on both these wips on Instagram if you do so desire πŸ˜€

One completely new development is the beginning of my journey as a fledgling knitter. This is a whole new direction for me and I am starting from the basics I learned as a child (knit and purl) and turning to YouTube for all the rest! So there will some needles as well as hooks from here on in πŸ˜€ I’m drawn by the possibilities of knitted wearables. I keep seeing beautiful knit patterns and wishing I could…time to stop wishing!

I also plan to start designing again. I have published one (free) crochet pattern, the Winter Sun Square, details of which are here. There will be more πŸ™‚

I think that’s it from me for now. I’ve got some ‘no knead’ bread on the kitchen counter that needs a tiny bit of bashing, and I want to make some hummus, and bliss balls. Then on to my daily chores after a bit of business paperwork, and it will be YARN TIME until the school bell goes. Woot!

9 thoughts on “Winter Crochet

1. Claire says:

Welcome back! Your blanket looks absolutely gorgeous – is it Sophie’s Universe? It’s endlessly fascinating to me that it’s winter for you and summer for me…I definitely crochet different things depending on the seasons!

Liked by 1 person

• Pam @hooksandhills says:

Thanks Claire; I am happy to be back πŸ™‚ Yes, it’s Sophie’s Universe. I learned so much! Have you made her / do you plan to? It’s still a bit strange for me to be in winter in June, as I’m from Scotland. And Christmas in summer, while normal for me now after almost 10 of them, is still pause for thought πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• Claire says:

The Sophie’s Universe pattern is absolutely gorgeous, there are so many fun stitches! I made the Sophie’s Garden square a few years ago for the center of an afghan. I’d really like to make the full version, it’s stunning. Yours is looking fantastic! πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• Pam @hooksandhills says:

Thank you Claire πŸ™‚ ❀ I made the Mandala part as a doily (is there a more modern word for that?!) first, and then I started the Garden to use as the centrepiece of my block blanket from the Look At What I Made Block A Week CAL 2014 (which I talk about in this week's post), but I loved making the Garden so much that I couldn't stop! Even though it was in v expensive Paton's Cotton Blend! But I'm so glad I did keep going, and that I abandoned my cheap, acrylic Sophie, as I feel that a cotton / cotton blend has much better stitch definition. Plus when so much work is going to go into something so detailed, it seems nuts not to use the best yarn affordable imo. Of course it's all personal preference, that said. And I would say that my Sophie is very heavy. I made the Attic 24 Hydrangea Stripe blanket recently, which is not dissimilar in size, if a different shape, in Stylecraft Special DK and it's lovely and soft, and just the right weight. Stylecraft Special DK is def the best acrylic I've found. Although my fave fibre remains cotton as it gets very hot here. Gosh I can rattle on about yarn lol. Thanks for commenting. Go start a Sophie! You will love her πŸ™‚

2. tonymarkp says:

Beautiful afghan! Also, I hope you enjoy the knitting as you learn about more. I love knitting and crochet equally and knowing how to do both gives you endless possibilities.

Liked by 1 person

• Pam @hooksandhills says:

Thanks, I really enjoyed making her, and I learned so much! Thanks also for knitting wishes, frustration is indeed the word at times – but I remember when I found crochet quite stressful and now anything but, even when hooking very challenging things; so I shall just persevere with the needles and see what happens πŸ˜€

Liked by 1 person